Stable Quarter Collections

Research & Collections

The Stable Quarter lies just beyond the 19th-century formal yard and served as the home for an enslaved artisan household between the mid-1790s through to the 1830s when the structure was abandoned. Unlike the timber-framed structures of the South Yard (built in 1810) with their raised timber floors and central masonry chimney bases, the Stable Quarter was a log-cabin with clay floors, at-grade hearths, and stick-and-mud chimneys. A range of artifacts including ceramics, glass, clothing and personal items, iron hardware, and faunal and floral remains were recovered from the borrow pits—originally dug for clay to chink the structure and the chimneys—and the surrounding yard area.

The collection of artifacts was varied enough to indicate that the skilled artisan household had access to local markets to purchase household goods. Below is a representation of the types of materials and objects recovered during the 2010-2011 excavations. For a more detailed description of the artifact assemblage and analysis see: Stable Quarter Object Report.

 

 

You may also be interested in:

 

Final overhead photograph of excavations at the Stable Quarter (2010). The mansion is in the background.

Image of reconstructed log-cabin (2014).