Slave Quarter-Homes (1763-1797)

Research & Collections

Other than the foundations for the South Kitchen, very little evidence exists for structures in the domestic space south of the mansion for the 18th century.  Archaeological evidence suggests this entire area was panned to remove debris for the construction of the duplexes and smokehouses in the 1810s.

Moving beyond the South Yard, the Stable Quarter seems to have been constructed as part of an extended complex of buildings in the 1790s along with the principle stable that lies on the top of the nearby hill.  The documentary evidence indicates that James Madison, Jr. was in part responsible for the changes in this area of the plantation, so it is possible that additional, earlier structures may have existed in this area.
 

The Stable Quarter excavation, 2010.  Archaeologists stand at the approximate corners of what would have been a 16x20' log cabin.  Note the two at-grade brick hearths at either end of the structure.

Archaeologist uncovers the last log to have burned in the smaller hearth before the structure was demolished in the mid-19th century.