Mansion (1901-1985)

Research & Collections

The duPont family made extensive changes to the mansion after they purchased the property in 1901.  Between 1902 and 1908 they tripled the size of the mansion.  Amazingly during this construction, very little disturbance occurred to the mansion grounds outside of the additions made to the mansion.

Photograph of back lawn and mansion circa 1910.  Notice the original Madison-era collonade surrounded by duPont additions.

Drawing of 1810s mansion with duPont additions ghosted.