Farm Complex (1845-1865)

Research & Collections

The razing of the South Yard was not the only change wrought within the enslaved community during the lead-up to the Civil War.  A Civil War map dating to 1864 shows a set of slave quarters located near the barns of the Constitution Village.  During surveys, archaeologists located the foundations for one of these slave quarters within the 20th century barn complex.

1863 map drawn by Conferderate Lt. Walter Izard showing "negro Quarters" in the area of the farm complex at Montpelier. Courtesy Library of Congress, Geography & Map Division.