Craft Complex (1801-1817)
Archaeologists used metal detectors to locate a large number of hand forged tools, nails, and other items along the historic road trace in the woods between the visitor center and the mansion. Similar to the area of the tobacco barn, the large number of nails suggest the presence of structures while the absence of ceramic, bottle glass, and bone reflect the area was not used as a residence. Unlike the area of the tobacco barn, there were a large number of tools recovered during surveys of this area. An 1833 visitor accounts describes this area as containing the “barns and farming arrangements of the Estate”. Based on these archaeological finds, we believe this area is the location of cooper and carpenter shops that are described as being part of the estate in 1803.