Stable Yard (1801-1817)
The stable yard served as a work area during the construction of the mansion. Letters between Madison and his builders recount the use of the Stable as the main carpentry shop. Some of the tools recovered in this area during metal detector surveys potentially date to this use for the construction of the mansion wings from 1809-1812.
Although many of the structures such as the Stable and the Stable Quarter were built in the latter part of the 18th century, the Stable Yard remained an active font of activity throughout the early-19th century. It is likely that there were three principle areas of activity in the Stable Yard: