Mansion

Research & Collections
 

The mansion was constructed in three major architectural building campaigns: the basic Georgian structure was erected during the 1760s for James Madison Sr.’s growing family. Between 1797-1800, James Madison Jr. added a “townhouse” duplex to the north side of his father’s home. The last major Madison-initiated construction took place between 1809 and 1812, and culimated in the addition of north and south flanking wings, corresponding cellars, and Palladian detailing. Montpelier changed drastically during the duPont ownership; the mansion tripled in size between 1902 and 1908.